Alexandra Road Park was originally designed by Janet Jack in 1979 and is situated within the curtilage of the Grade II* listed Alexandra and Ainsworth Estate, within the London Borough of Camden.
The listed Alexandra Road elements of the estate were designed by Neave Brown of Camden Architects department from 1968, and include 520 homes for 1660 people, a tenants’ hall, underground parking, shop (now an artist’s studio), community facilities and the walls steps and ramps of the park.
The park 1.7 Ha in size and is linear in its layout and structured by a series of diagonal paths which cut across the open space, maximizing use of the space and creating a series of ‘outdoor rooms’ with different characters, for relaxation and play. This structure is enlivened by a dramatic three dimensional landscape of ridges and valleys which create excellent views over the space from raised gardens and plazas, as well as more intimate sunken spaces.
What we did
In 2013 local residents were awarded Heritage Lottery Funding (HLF) to restore the park.
Landscape Architects J&L Gibbons were appointed to masterplan the site and oversee the transformation of the Park. Michael Grubb Studio was appointed shortly after to deliver a Lighting Strategy that could be adopted by the London Borough of Camden and implemented over a number of years / phases.
The lighting strategy looked to develop a lighting hierarchy for the various routes and spaces. Safety was a primary concern for residents, especially those adjacent to the park edge. The final scheme was developed to meet lighting guidelines, whilst preventing light trespass into adjacent properties and at all times looking to enhance the historic importance of the park by night.