Michael Grubb Studio worked in collaboration with Robin Lee Architecture on a collection of 13 large double height open plan apartments, located in west London. The residential development was converted from the former North Thames Gas Board office and laboratory complex.
Careful stripping back of the interior finishes exposed the existing robust in-situ and pre-stressed concrete framework, which in turn revealed the original character of the 1950’s built warehouse building. Natural oak joinery work, terrazzo finishes and glu-laminated timber structural elements made up a limited palette of materials. Lighting was carefully intergrated into the architectural fabric of the building with decorative elements introduced to create interest.
Photo: Jack Hobhouse